So you have built a great website, now how do you get people to actually visit it? Here are some of the best places where you can promote your site.
Social Media Sites
Social media sites have become huge and have become one of the main ways that people find new websites.
- Facebook – The very first thing you should do after completing your site is share it on Facebook. If you haven’t already done so, it may also be a good idea to create a separate Facebook page for your site. This is especially important if you have a commercial site. Facebook should be an essential part of your online marketing strategy, so don’t neglecgt it.
- Twitter/X – Twitter is another extremely popular Social Media site that can be very useful for driving visitors to your website. You should tweet all of your articles as soon as you post them on your site.
- Pinterest – If you have a site with a lot of attractive images, Pinterest is a good way to increase traffic. Pin all of your images and over time you will see a lot of people coming to your site from Pinterest.
- Instagram – If you have a site that offers a lot of visual content or aims at a younger audience Instagram is one of the top social networks to target for your marketing campaigns.
- Reddit – This popular social forum site can be another great option for website promotion. By participating on Reddit and offering helpful information you can build up a reputation in your niche and then (when appropriate) share a link to your site.
Having a few videos on one of the major video sites can be an excellent way to drive lots of traffic to your site.
- Youtube – Uploading a few videos to Youtube related to your website’s topic is a very powerful way to get visitors. Creating a video doesn’t have to be hard. You can record one of yourself talking using your webcam or use a screen recording program like Camtasia.
- Vimeo – This is the second most popular video site on the internet. They are a bit more strict with what they allow you to upload, but you should definitely upload your videos here too.
If you can afford to spend a little money, then you should also take a look at Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising. While it can be a little tricky to figure out how to use this type of advertising successfully, if you take some time to study the basics it can be a great way to promote a site.
- Google Adwords – Google’s PPC program is by far the most popular. While it has become fairly complicated to set up a successful campaign and the competition can be fierce, Adwords can deliver very high quality traffic.
- Facebook (Meta) Ads – Facebook/Meta ads are easy to set up and there still isn’t as much competition in most niches as there is with Adwords, so they can be an excellent option as well.
Online Business Directories
If you have a business website, creating a business listing at one of the free online business directories that links to your site should be one of the first things you do. hese sites will not only help customers find your site and business, but they also provide backlinks that can help with search engine optimization.
- Google My Business – A free service by Google that allows you to create an extensive online business profile. These profiles appear when people search for your business on Google.
- Bing Places For Business – Microsoft Bing’s online business directory. It works similarly to Google My Business.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Traffic from the big search engines (Google and Bing) is probably the best kind of traffic you can get. Not only is it highly targeted, it is also completely free. While SEO can be challenging and take a lot of work, it is definitely worth the effort.
For SEO it is always more important to have great content before anything else. After that you need to make sure that your content is built around keywords that people are actually searching for. Another important aspect of SEO is building high quality links to your site.